Listen to article
“I want to keep everyone calm and positive,” Brazil legend Pele says as he again reassures the public of improved reception to treatment in hospital following reports that his body stopped responding to cancer treatment.
Pele’s social media account released a statement aiming to allay concerns regarding the reported downward turn in his treatment;
“My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive. I’m strong, with a lot of hope and I follow my treatment as usual. I want to thank the entire medical and nursing team for all the care I have received.”
“I have a lot of faith in God and every message of love I receive from you all over the world keeps me full of energy. And watch Brazil in the World Cup too!” the statement read on his Instagram.
This is the second message in as many days from the football icon’s social media after it posted that his admission was part of a “monthly visit” to the hospital.
The 82-year-old has been admitted to a Sao Paulo hospital since Tuesday and was reportedly diagnosed with a respiratory infection on Friday.
Pele says he feels “strong” and has “a lot of hope” as he receives hospital treatment in his battle with colon cancer.
The Brazil legend is responding well and his health condition has not worsened over the last 24 hours, the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo said on Saturday-Skynews reports
This comes following reports via Brazilian daily newspaper- Folha de S.Paulo, that the football great had been moved to palliative care and was only being treated for symptoms such as pain and shortness of breath according to Sky News.
He has been admitted for a “reassessment of chemotherapy therapy” of his colon tumour.
“He is still having treatment and remains stable,” the hospital added.
The 82-year-old had surgery to remove a tumor in September 2021.